We have analyzed in 1Q 2015 the market of site managers. During the research AW approached 340 site managers with a link to the Czech Republic. AW reached during the research and selection following conclusions, which we share with you.
- What are the nationalities of site managers in the Czech Republic?
- Where in the world Czech site managers work?
- How are site managers in the Czech Republic rewarded?
- What is the personality of a site manager like? How old is he, what is his educational, professional background and what are his interests ?
- Which skills make site managers successful leaders? – two perspectives
- What is the managerial profile of a site manager?
- What is the expected development of site manager‘s role and challenges
What are the nationalities of site managers in the CR
AW analyzed site managers‘ nationalities in leading factories based in the Czech Republic with more than 250 employees.
How are site managers in the Czech Republic rewarded
A site manager earns an average of 230,000 CZK per month + bonus fix 30% (12x) The AW analysis showed that fixed salaries of site managers are between 140,000 and 350,000 CZK and are not affected by the size of a plant.
The salary of a site manager is affected firstly by:
- The degree of automation of production processes in a plant
- Origin country of the company
- State of the plant during the onset of the site manager
The origin of a company affects also the rewarding system
- Multinational companies usually count with a higher fixed amount and 12x paid 30% bonus
- Local companies or foreign companies with one owner have lower fixed base and a bonus of up to 100%
Added values, which have a significant influence on the decision to accept a manager role at a plant, include:
- Possibility of personal development – senior management development programs
- Moving or housing support
What is the personality of a site manager like
Managerial education 21% of site managers went through a management study program and got an MBA degree.
Professional background 80% of site managers has worked in their careers in a role of a quality manager Promotion to the role of site manager 57% of managers are promoted to the role of site manager internally 43% of managers for the role of site manager leave the previous company
Service life of a site manager Time spent in a site manager role in one company is on average 2.8 years. 92% of managers then find employment in other company. 8% of managers are promoted internally.
Hobbies Comparison from AW statistics of managers‘ hobbies between 2005 and 2015 shows that site managers are active in sports. In the early 21st century, it was especially team sports. Site managers spend more time doing individual and extreme sports disciplines nowadays.
Which skills make site managers successful leaders
From the site managers‘ point of view:
- Development of his team and identification of their needs
- Ability to give a second chance
- Inner peace and distance – the leader does not try to actively manage his subordinates, he gives them space for their mistakes and development
- Understanding of habits in the factory‘s location and the mentality of a particular nation (to increase efficiency and competitiveness of production)
From the headquarters / HR point of view:
- Ability to identify and attract talents – internal and external
- Talent development
- Being able to build inclusive & diverse teams and leverage its advantage/potential
- Manage remote and multicultural teams
- Adapt to changing environment
What is the managerial profile of a site manager
The results of the evaluation of managerial potential, according to an internal AW methodology, revealed that there are two basic types of leaders – site managers.
Dedicated leader, profile letter A It is a leader with strong self-esteem and goal orientation, dedication and enthusiasm. Profile of a dedicated leader is successful in structures of multinational corporations with clearly set management rules and expected improvements. The profile of this leader brings complications and dissatisfaction of the manager in the role in the event of a shift to Group CEO.
Adaptive leader, profile letter W It is a leader who is focused on external incentives, which he is able to adapt to. Profile of adaptive leader suits better less hierarchical, loser management structures and companies in the process of change. This profile also better identifies with the role of Group CEO.
What is the expected development of site manager‘s role
2003 Primary focus on KPIs and performance, implementation and trust in operational excellence systems (based on TPS or Nissan production system and Six Sigma) main topic for companies.
2015 Primary focus on KPIs and performance, implementation and trust in operational excellence systems (based on TPS or Nissan production system and Six Sigma) main topic for companies.