Media Market in 2016 in the Czech Republic and Slovakia
Czech media market is in consolidation process. Major media outlets might be owned by few entities only in the near future. Major players builds strong media houses to cover all areas of media market.
• New owner and new strategy of VLM -stronger position of Denik and internal merger of VLP, Astrosat and Tablet
• Acquisition of several Mladá fronta titles by CN Invest (Mr. Křetínský)
• BauerMedia, Burda Praha as a pontential targets for acquisition as well as some TV players
• CFCE share acquisition in Empressa Media (49%) and Medea (30%).
• Premium media group entry on the local market (Holásek)
• AT&T acquired Time Warner (major shareholder of CME /Nova) for 109 bil USD . Search
Search for the new business models
Technology providers like Seznam and mobile operators (O2 TV, T- mobile TV) enter or plan to enter local market with news content. Established media houses are pushed to enlarge its on line portfolio (on line news , on line TV). The entry of digital DVB-T2 (1.2. 2021) broadcast might enlarge channels by paid ones.
• Seznam.cz started its original news server Seznam Zprávy in May
• Czech News Center started information server Info.cz at the end of the year
• Local TV operators started hybrid TV broadcast connecting TV and internet this year
To read the entire study, click here: Market mapping Media market